Recipe by MNLisaB
This is my kind of comfort food-a very untradtional but flavorful way to prepare risotto. Lots of shrimp, with garlic, ginger, pine nuts and cilantro. Risotto goes Pacific Rim! Adapted from a recipe from a local grocery store.
Top Review by sugarpea
You've got a winner here, MNLisaB! Outstanding comfort food! I made the recipe exactly as written and I wouldn't change a thing. I'd like to say I would cut the butter amount in half next time, but I probably won't. It was just too good. Thank you!!
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (3 1/4 ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed,cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 3⁄4 lb fresh shrimp, peeled,deveined,cleaned
- 3 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 3 TBS of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in mushrooms and saute until softened, about 5 minutes, then remove to a plate.
- Melt remaining 2 TBS butter in the same saucepan.
- Stir in ginger and garlic, saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in rice; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- In another saucepan, combine shrimp, chicken broth,sherry and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil; remove shrimp to a bowl.
- Add about a third of the hot broth to the rice.
- Cook over medium heat until broth is absorbed, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- Continue adding a third more broth and stirring until rice is still firm but not raw tasting, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms,red pepper, pine nuts and shrimp; heat through, for about 4 more minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and serve right away.
- To toast pine nuts:can pan toast or toast in a preheated 325* oven until golden-watch carefully.