- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small red onion, 1/4-inch diced
- 1 Japanese eggplant, 1/2-inch diced, skin on
- 1 red bell pepper, 1/2-inch, diced
- 1 large tomatoes, 1/2-inch diced
- 2 cups whole wheat instant couscous
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cups water, boiling
- 12 -15 basil leaves, ripped
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat coated lightly with extra virgin olive oik andd onion and eggplant and season with salt and pepper, cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and saute until slightly softened, then add tomato, stir and season.
- Meanwhile, make couscous: in a large heat-proof bowl, combine couscous, tamari and 2 tablespoons olive oil and season. Pour boiling water over and stir quickly to blend and immediately cover bowl with plastic wrap, sealing tightly. allow to steam until couscous is tender, about 5-7 minutes. fluff couscous with the back of a fork and stir in the ripped basil leaves. Check flavor and season if necessary.
- To serve, using a ring mold (I used a custard cup), plate couscous in mold on plate and layer ratatouile on top. Unmold and drizzle with more extra virgin olive oil and garnish with the basil sprigs if desired.