Recipe by loof
An easy stove-top pot roast recipe. You could probably do it in a crock pot too but I've never tried it that way...
Top Review by Charlotte J
I made this on the stove top and it was done in 2.5 hours. I thought the crush 1/2 Star Anise that I used added a very nice flavor. As it cooked I just kept turning the roast about every 30 minutes. I did think it was too salty, I will try using reduced sodium soy sauce and no salt at all in the future. Made for team Soup-A-Stars during ZWT9 2013
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast or 3 lbs round roast
- 2 tablespoons grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- 3 green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a roasting pan. Add the beef roast and gingerroot and cook the roast until brown on all sides. Drain.
- Add sherry and soy sauce. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water, chopped green pepper, whole green onions, salt, and crushed anise seeds. Mix well.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 3 hours or until beef is done to your liking. Stir and baste occasionally during cooking.