Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Can substitute chicken breast.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green onion, including some tender green tops
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (low-sodium if you like)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup fresh peas or 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a big skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in pork; stir/saute for 5-10 minutes or until pork is browned; transfer to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add in onions and mushrooms; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in rice, stock, orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, and orange zest.
- Bring mixture to a boil; pour over pork in the casserole dish.
- Cover and bake in a 350° oven for about 45 minutes or until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in peas; cook, uncovered for 10 more minutes.