Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an Asian take on a Middle Eastern dish. It's best when a mouthful consists of a bit of kofte and a bit of slaw! You could also wrap it up in flatbread to make an Asian kebab. To slice and julienne the salad vegetables use a mandolin grater for the best effect.
- Crush and finely chop the garlic.
- Grind the star anise into powder
- Combine both with the minced pork.
- Add half of the coriander and half of the mint, the red dried chili, and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Form meat mixture into four long patties.
- Heat oil in deep frypan.
- Place patties in frypan and cook, turning when done. Don't press them as they cook because this dries out the meat.
- While they cook, do the salad.
- Thinly slice the cabbage until you have a cup of it.
- Thinly julienne the spring onion on the diagonal.
- Peel the carrot and grate it into straws, or chop it very finely.
- Finely slice the red capsicum.
- Place vegetables with the rest of the coriander and the mint in a large bowl.
- Add some salt and pepper.
- Mix lime juice and palm sugar in a mortar with a pestle.
- Dress the salad with the sweet lime juice.
- Serve the patties with the salad on the side.
The combination of the red pepper and star anise was a good flavor for the pork kofte (kefte). Five spice powder would be a good substitute and somewhat easier to find--grinding the star anise was somewhat difficult. The slaw went well with the meat.