Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a sweet and sour condiment. Use it in Chinese cuisine as a dip for deep-fried dishes, such as spring rolls, egg rolls, pork, noodles, and deep-fried tofu as well as for roast duck or chicken. It is made from sweet tart plums along with sugar, vinegar, ginger and chilies.
- 6 cups pitted chopped red plums
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vinegar, 5% acidity
- 1 small onion (1/2 cup minced)
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried chili pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Thai basil or 1 tablespoon tarragon, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil, minced
- Place all ingredients in a large heavy bottom pan bring to boil stirring until thick and syrupy 1 1/2 hours when it reaching 215 F degrees.
- Fill sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims and place lids and rings and process 15 minutes. Shut flame off, remove lid and leave for 5 more minutes.
- Remove to a towel-lined counter to cool in a draft free spot.
- Remove rings and wipe clean, label and place in storage in a cool, dark place.
This recipe was absolutely fabulous! I was looking for a creative way to use up some of my frozen plums from last year. I doubled the recipe, increased the onions to 2 cups, ginger to 2 & 1/2 Tbs and didn't double the pepper flakes (I'm a light weight). Delicious, thick glaze! Thanks Rita
Nice balance of flavors! From comments below, used rice wine vinegar for a smooth tartness and puréed plums before cooking. Thickened nicely.
This is pretty good, nice balance between sweet and spicy. Next time I may use a rice vinegar, used a distilled white this time and it still had a little bit of a vinegar taste. I had a hard time getting the sauce to thicken, until I mashed the bits of fruit in a sieve and returned the mashed fruit to the pan as its own pectin. Pretty much followed the recipe except for the ginger, which I used a powdered ginger, doubled. Hoping it sets up well. Thank you for sharing.