Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This sauce is great for dipping, as a grilling sauce, or brushed on baked pork chops or chicken. It is especially good for dipping chicken strips or egg rolls in.
- 8 cups pitted and chopped plums
- 1 3⁄4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper (finely chopped)
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon dried ginger powder
- Bring all ingredients except plums to a boil in a non-aluminum pan. Stir in plums. Simmer until thick, stirring often. Mash with a potato masher or blend if you want a smoother sauce.
- To can: Fill hot, clean jars with hot sauce, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe rims, adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes at 0-1000 ft., 25 minutes, 1001-6000 ft., or 30 minutes, above 6000 ft. Makes about 6 half pints.
This turned out great and tasted way better those store bought plum sauces that are mainly made with pumpkin and add a bit of plum for reddish colour and a bit of taste.I used my small sweet purple skinned (red flesh inside) plums and it made for a very dark purple sauce but it is great with eggrolls and spring rolls . Try it!