Recipe by Violet #2
This sauce is great for dipping, as a grilling sauce, or brushed on baked pork chops or chicken. It is especially good for dipping chicken strips or egg rolls in.
Top Review by Chef Maman
This turned out great and tasted way better those store bought plum sauces that are mainly made with pumpkin and add a bit of plum for reddish colour and a bit of taste.I used my small sweet purple skinned (red flesh inside) plums and it made for a very dark purple sauce but it is great with eggrolls and spring rolls . Try it!
- 8 cups pitted and chopped plums
- 1 3⁄4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper (finely chopped)
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon dried ginger powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring all ingredients except plums to a boil in a non-aluminum pan. Stir in plums. Simmer until thick, stirring often. Mash with a potato masher or blend if you want a smoother sauce.
- To can: Fill hot, clean jars with hot sauce, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe rims, adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes at 0-1000 ft., 25 minutes, 1001-6000 ft., or 30 minutes, above 6000 ft. Makes about 6 half pints.