I found this on the web, it didnt have a name attached. I decided to put the recipe up as it was written, but I made a few changes. I used 500grams of plum jam, and cut the white sugar down to 1/2 cup, it is still very sweet, and next time I might leave the white sugar out completely. I realy like the meld of flavours, and will make it often, tweaking as I go :)
- 3 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 to 3 medium onions)
- 3 cups red onions, chopped (2 to 3 medium onions)
- 8 cups fresh plums, 1/2-inch cubes (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup candied ginger, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup hoisin sauce (7 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine all ingredients in large kettle.
- Cover and bring to boil.
- Uncover and boil gently 40 minutes or until thickened and glossy, stirring occasionally.
- As it thickens, watch that it doesnt stick.
- Pour hot chutney into sterilized jars and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or can using USDA canning guidelines for longer storage.
- Makes about 5-1/2 pints.
Tasted Yummy! I made seven jars of this last night and it worked really well. I only used 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar because my plums were really sour. Will be giving it to family, friends and Little Miss (DD) school (For there give-away hamper). Thanks for posting the recipe Mummamills.
I cut this recipe in half & made it early this month, gifting several small jars to friends of mine, & FINALLY got some feed-back, all of which was gushy & otherwise GREAT! The 2 of us here really enjoyed it, as well! I took your introductory advice & omitted the granulated sugar, feeling the amount of brown sugar was plenty, & it was! Now I'm considering making up a full batch to can & include in my end-of-year holiday gift baskets! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my swapmates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #33]