Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This combination sounds kind of strange, but believe me, it is excellent! My husband went crazy over this, he ate the whole thing by himself. We love spicy food and this really hits the spot when we want a cold salad! Recipe compliments of Gourmet.
- 2 celery ribs
- 44.37 ml fresh lime juice
- 29.58 ml seasoned rice vinegar
- 4.92 ml finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 firm Asian pears, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch-thick matchsticks
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro leaves
- 2.46 ml finely chopped fresh hot red chili pepper, to taste
- Peel strings from celery with a Y-shaped vegetable peeler and cut celery into 1/4-inch-thick matchsticks.
- Whisk together lime juice, rice vinegar, and ginger and stir in celery and remaining ingredients with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.
Delicious! I LOVED this salad!! Beautiful to look at as well as great tasting. My rice vinegar was not sweet so I added honey, but otherwise followed the recipe. This reminded me a bit of fruit salsa. I could have eaten the entire salad myself but alas, had to share with Dh. I made 1/2 the recipe shown so I had less cutting to do, but the 45 minutes prep time seems a bit long. I think you can do it in less time. The recipe doesn't state it, but I peeled the pears. Thank you, Grace Lynn!
I'd give this salad MORE stars if I could! It was so delicious, refreshing, healthy, and awesome! I loved the combination of Asian pears and celery and the dressing was simple to make but complex in flavor! And NO fat!! SO GOOD! ***The recipe specifies "seasoned" rice vinegar which is a slightly SWEETENED version of regular rice vinegar, for those of you who thought it should have been sweeter. If you used regular, plain rice vinegar, you would need to add a little sugar or honey to approximate the same flavor.
This salad is very good. I used red pepper flakes as I did not have the chili peppers. It went really fast. This will be one of my salads on regular rotation at my house.