Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The most well-known dish in Thailand, this ones a goodie! Not sure if they have ketchup in Thailand but I like to add it in! Don't let the list of ingredients scare you, this is not a hard recipe and well worth making! To save some time you can chop all the ingredients up to one day ahead and refrigerate.
Top Review by Luckeydevil
I thought this is a good basic recipe. I would use about half the fish sauce as my DH and I thought it was too strong and use lemon juice instead of lime juice. I have always had it made with lemon juice and extra lemon on the side. I did leave out the tofu and other meat because I used it as a side. I will try it again and try the adjustments. Thanks for posting this!!
- 8 ounces wide stick rice noodles
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 -4 tablespoons fish sauce (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoonss lime juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or use boneless pork, can use more)
- 6 ounces tofu (can use more)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 8 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (can use more)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts, packed
- 6 -7 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peanuts (can use more)
- black pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the rice stick noodles noodles in a bowl of warm water for about 12-15 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the chicken broth with sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, ketchup and red pepper flakes; set aside.
- Slice the chicken or pork into about 1/4-inch strips, then cut the tofu onto about 1/2-inch cubes; set aside.
- In a wok or large frypan heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat; add in beaten egg and cook stirring occasionally until scambled and cooked; transfer to a large bowl, then wipe the wok or skillet clean.
- Add in 1 tablespoon oil, then increase the heat to medium-high; add in the garlic, whole shrimp and chicken or pork strips; stir-fry until the shrimp is bright pink, then remove everything to the bowl with the egg in it.
- Add in the remaining 2 tablesoon oil then add in the tofu and bell peppers; cook stirring occasionally until the tofu begins to brown.
- Stir in the noodles; cook for 1 minute or until they start to soften; pour in the prepared sauce mixture; stir-fry until until the noodles are completely cooked and tender.
- Return the egg mixture to the wok or skillet; add in bean sprouts and HALF of the green onions; stir until heated through, season with black pepper if desired; remove to a platter or large bowl.
- Sprinkle with the peanuts and remaining green onion.