Recipe by E.A.
I found this about 10 years ago in a James McNair salad cookbook. If you like cilantro and a bit of kick from the chile oil then you will love this!!
Top Review by katie in the UP
I can't believe...such simple ingredients...became a delicious salad!!! I added a couple of sliced green onions and some crushed red chili flakes...and didn't use quite as much sesame oil as the recipe called for but other than that perfect!!! (I used whole wheat angel hair pasta...a family preference!) YUMMY!! Thank you for a recipe I'll be making many more times!
For the Noodle salad
- 1 lb of asian wheat noodles or 1 lb thin italian noodles, such as spaghettini
- 8 ounces snow peas, cut on the diagonal into rectangles long thin pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion, including the green top
- 1 cup coarsely chopped unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
For the Vinaigrette
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄8 cup sesame oil
- 1⁄8 cup high quality vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 cup hot chili oil, to taste
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Vinaigrette:.
- In a bowl combine the vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Whisk well. Add the oils and whisk or shake until emulsified. Alternatively, the ingredients may be mixed in a food processor or blender. Set aside and make salad.
- To make Noodle Salad:
- In a large pot, bring water to boil over high heat. Add a pinch of salt.
- Drop in the noodles and stir vigorously.
- Cook stirring frequently, until barely tender and still quite firm to the bite.
- Drain and rinse quickly under running cold water and drain again.
- Transfer the noodles to a large bowl. Add about half the vinaigrette, and toss well.
- Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally to keep noodle strands from sticking together.
- Bring a large saucepan filled with water to a boil.
- Add the snow peas and cook until tender, about 1 minute.
- Drain, then plunge into ice water to halt cooking and preserve color. Drain well.
- Add the snow peas, green onion, peanuts, cilantro and the remaining vinaigrette to the noodles and toss gently but throughly.
- Serve at room temperature.