Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great recipe based on one from Bon Appétit Magazine (July 2002). If you prefer, you can top this salad with chopped, grilled chicken, tofu, or fish rather than the eggs. If you like some heat in your food, add a little chili sauce or oil or red pepper flakes. This dish can be served warm, at room temperature, or chilled and is great the next day too!
- 12 -16 large shiitake mushrooms (dried or fresh) or 12 -16 large cremini mushrooms (dried or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 14 green onions, 12 halved lengthwise and cut on diagonal into 2-inch lengths, 2 chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (1 lb) packagefresh thin Chinese egg noodles or 1 (12 ounce) packagedried Chinese egg noodles or 12 ounces soba noodles
- 1⁄4 cup oriental sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, 2 thinly sliced, 1 chopped for garnish
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- (If using dry mushrooms: Place mushrooms in medium bowl; add enough boiling water to cover. Let stand until mushrooms soften, about 45 minutes. Drain mushrooms.) Cut off stems and discard; thinly slice caps.
- Heat peanut oil in heavy large wok or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic, and mushrooms. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Add cabbage and 2-inch green onion pieces; toss until onion tops begin to wilt, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Mix in 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
- Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain well; place in large bowl. Whisk sesame oil, next 3 ingredients, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce in small bowl. Add to noodles. Add sliced eggs, 3/4 cup cilantro, and cabbage mixture; toss to blend well. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill, tossing occasionally.).
- Sprinkle salad with 2 chopped green onions, chopped egg, and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and serve.