Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Mushrooms are very good for you, new research shows they may help to ward off infections and cancer. The recipe comes from Jean Carper, usaweekend.com
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups assorted mushrooms, sliced (white buttons, oyster, portabella, crimni, shiitake, if using shiitake, discard stems)
- 3 cups cabbage, cut in wedges
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 2 cups chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 cups fresh udon noodles (or substitute 2 cups cooked linguine)
- 1 cup chopped green onion, with some of the green tops
- 2 cups shredded raw spinach or 2 cups whole baby spinach leaves
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweetened rice wine) (optional)
- In a large pot, combine broth, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, mushrooms, cabbage, carrots and chicken.
- Cover; Bring to a boil; simmer until mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in noodles, green onions and spinach; simmer until greens are wilted, about 2 minutes,Season.
Very good, a nice blend of flavors and textures. I substituted the noodle with ramen noodles with success/
i am ammending my previous review because this tasted even better the next day! the flavors all mellowed together and was twice as tasty, if that's possible. this is a keeper
This is an awesome soup! I used bok choy cabbage, made the broth with a couple chicken thighs and then add some hot sauce to finish it. In a word... YUM!