- 6 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak dried mushrooms in 1 1/2 cups boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Drain but reserve the liquid.
- Discard mushroom stems and thinly slice the cups.
- Heat a small amount of oil in saucepan.
- Over medium heat saute the leeks, garlic, ginger, celeray and carrots for 5 minutes until leek is softened.
- Add stock, soy sauce and barley, sliced mushrooms and reserved mushroom liquid.
- Boil gently for 30 minutes until the barley is plump.