Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A wonderfully easy side dish to compliment an Asian meal. (Uses store bought meatballs.) got the idea from another recipe here, and changed it to my tastes. I made lots of sauce and after I removed the meatballs from it I used it in a stir fry, so I only used 1 bag of meatballs. I'm sure homemade meatballs would be better if you have the time. It would be so easy to just heat up the meatballs in a purchased stir fry sauce too.
- 2 (16 ounce) bagsprecooked frozen meatballs
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄8 cup honey-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1⁄8 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄8 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- Pour all ingredients (except the meatballs) into a pot, stir well to combine. Bring to a full boil, making sure that the cornstarch is incorporated before the liquid heats up.
- Add the meatballs. Bring back to a simmer, reduce heat and cook until warmed through, 10-15 minutes.
- I let mine cook for an hour and a half over low heat, since you can't really overcook them. You just need to stir the pot occasionally to make sure the sauce doesn't stick.
These meatballs were great! I did forget to pick up sake (I don't know how I missed that ingredient), so I just doubled the mirin. I did cut back on the cornstarch too which didn't make a "jelly" when cooled. My girlfriend and I loved them. Thank you so much!
YUM! Ridiculously easy, super good. I halved the recipe, and was glad I did, or we would have inhaled 16 servings between the 6 of us instead of only 8! I gotta warn people, though, with the amount of cornstarch in this sauce, not only do you get a yummy thick sauce, but once it has cooled you have weird jelly. My roommate likened it to my "chicken jello" (cold homemade stock). So devour this before it gets cold! :) Thank you very much for posting, this one is going in the permanent rotation file. Made for ZWT4.