Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
From Bon Appetit January 2006. Wonderful tofu taking on the flavors of whatever ingredients you add to it-a blank canvas waiting to be painted...
- 59.14 ml grated fresh ginger
- 59.14 ml fresh lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 59.14 ml fresh lime juice
- 29.58 ml fish sauce (read NOTE*)
- 29.58 ml water
- 44.37 ml sweet chili sauce
- 118.29 ml English cucumber, peeled
- 59.14 ml scallion
- 59.14 ml firm tomatoes, diced
- 29.58 ml fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 14.79 ml of fresh mint, chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh basil, chopped (use Thai or Vietnamese basil if available)
- 453.59 g firm tofu, drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (tofu can be weighed down under heavy pans to release the water content)
- 6 large butter lettuce leaves (or 12 medium sized)
- NOTE*: Nam pla or nuoc nam (fish sauce) is available in Asian markets. I would strongly suggest to begin by using only 1 TEASPOON of the fish sauce in this recipe and then adjust seasoning accordingly. For vegetarian version, omit the fish sauce.)
- DRESSING: Puree the first 5 ingredients in a blender. Allow the mixture to stand at least 5 minutes or up to 1 hour. Stir in chili sauce.
- Strain the dressing into a small bowl, pressing down the solids with a spatula to release the liquids. Discard solids.
- TOFU: Toss together the first 7 ingredients. Next add the tofu and salad dressing, tossing to coat well.
- For each serving, arrange 1 or 2 lettuce leaves on a plate. Divide the tofu mixture onto the lettuce leaves.
Just WOW! It smells so good! I did not have lemon grass so I had to leave that out. I can only imagine how unbelieveable this would be with the additional flavor. Also, try heating it up! (without the cucumbers) So tasty! And people really thought wrapping the lettuce themselves was fun!
The flavours here are so good, but we did not enjoy the raw tofu. I should have followed my instinct and shallow-fried it to get rid of the raw taste and the excess moisture (even after pressing). Very good recipe.
The dressing is outstanding & crazy full of flavor! I don't like the texture of 'raw' tofu so I baked it to firm up more but overdid it & it was hard. :(It soaked in the dressing & was still tasty. Love the loads of vegetation, low on sodium & fat. YUM! Made for ZWT9, Mike & the Appliance Killers!<br/>ps. i keep a tube of lemongrass paste that i found in the produce section in my fridge so I used that. And I didn't grate the ginger for the dressing - i let my blender do that!