Recipe by Sharon123
A delicious vegetarian recipe from Vegetarian Times magazine(2003).
Top Review by katiemegcollins
I just made these tonight for a dinner party with coworkers and they were delicious!!! We used nappa cabbage instead of lettuce and substituted maple syrup for brown sugar for a different twist. I would highly recommend these for entertaining or even for a light dinner at home!
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons japanese miso (or Korean toenjang bean paste)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 8 pieces leaves lettuce leaves
- 8 pieces basil leaves (or other fresh herb, such as cilantro)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces firm tofu, cubed
- 1⁄2 avocado, peeled
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, seeded
- 2 1⁄2 ounces white radishes, julienned (or daikon)
- 2 ounces bean sprouts, raw
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika (or Korean red pepper powder)
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Miso Sauce:.
- Place brown sugar in heavy saucepan, and melt over medium-low heat, being careful not to burn. Remove from heat, and stir miso and sesame seeds into melted sugar.
- To make Wrapping:.
- Trim edges of lettuce leaves to make them uniformly circular. Stack sesame or basil leaves alongside.
- To make Salad:.
- Heat oil in skillet or wok over medium-high heat, and stir-fry tofu about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Slice avocado into 1½-inch-long pieces. Slice red pepper into 1 ½-inch-long pieces. Set aside.
- Combine white radish with 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon red pepper powder. Set aside.
- Combine bean sprouts with 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and 1 teaspoon salt.
- To assemble rolls, place 1 lettuce leaf on flat surface, and layer remaining ingredients in following order: basil leaf, bean sprout mixture, radish mixture, tofu, cucumber, avocado and red pepper. Spoon about ½ teaspoon Miso Sauce over top. Wrap by tucking ends in, and roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients.