Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Having two teenage boys and trying to stay on a diet can be impossible. I am really trying to reduce my carbs and I found this recipe on kalyn's kitchen blog. They loved it! Good for a phase 1 South Beach diet too.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons red onions or 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chile garlic sauce (I used more)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the onion and saute for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger root and saute about 1 minute more.
- Add ground turkey and break apart, then add soy sauce, chili garlic and fish sauce if using. Cook until the turkey is brown and crumbling apart and the sauce is slightly reduce, about 5 minutes.
- When turkey is done, add chopped cilantro and cook 1-2 minutes more. Serve filling and lettuce leaves in separate bowl, with chopped peanuts in another. Fill lettuce leaves with filling and add chopped nuts if desired.
Loved this recipe! I have made this twice now, and other than leaving out the peanuts and fish sauce, I followed the recipe exactly. These are really good with crunchy rice noodles and a squeeze of lime on top. Thanks!