Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Definitely not your normal everyday latke.
- 4 potatoes (2 1/4 lbs)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- vegetable oil
Gingered Sour Cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger or 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- Peel and grate the potatoes.
- Place in colander and set over large bowl, squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Stir together with the nuts, flour, wasabi& eggs.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in lg, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Form batter into silver dollar size patties and fry til golden brown on both sides, adding more oil and adjusting the heat as needed.
- Gingered Sour Cream: Stir together sour cream and ginger.
I hate to say this but I was a little bit dissapointed with this. It just tasted a little bland. I made large round pan size latkes as I couldn't get the small ones to cook through and stay together. If I were to make this again I would do the following. 1. Grate the potatoes with a cheese grater, I used a julienne cut and although they were cooked they were still a bit firm. 2. Add some more flavours, despite the wasabi powder all I could taste was the potato and an aroma of wasabi. I think they would be great with some soy, scallions and maybe sesame seeds added. I will make this again someday with my changes and report back later.