Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful fruity, flavorful salad that screams for a glass of your favorite white wine! Recipe was found on Wine Spectator Magazine's website.
- 3 cups dry white wine (or water or wine combination)
- 1 lb shrimp, large, peeled and deveined
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil (or peanut oil)
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 limes, Grated zest
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 diced jalapenos or 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 papayas, ripe (or 2 mangos, or 1 cantaloupe)
- 6 cups lettuce, torn
- 6 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, torn
- 6 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, torn
- In a saucepan, bring the wine/water to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp, and poach until they turn pink, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour, or until cold.
- Discard the poaching liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, juice, zest, sugar and red pepper flakes to make the vinaigrette.
- Season with salt and additional red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Peel, pit, and slice the fruit. If using papayas, cut them in half to scoop out and discard the seeds before slicing.
- Toss the shrimp with 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette, and marinate for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lettuces, mint and basil.
- Drizzle half of the remaining vinaigrette over the lettuces and herbs.
- Toss to coat, and divide among individual salad plates.
- Top with the shrimp and the fruit.
- Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette on top, and serve immediately.