Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Yet another Cooking Light recipe I have not gotten around to trying yet. The header on the original printing says it tastes better the next day. I think it would be a lovely contrast to serve with a crispy asian slaw, with some fresh sliced hot chiles mixed in.
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 lbs flank steaks, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 hoagie rolls
- Combine 1st 9 ingredients in a large dutch oven over med-high, and bring to a boil. Add onion and beef and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour and 45 min, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, reserving liquid in pan. Shred beef with two forks. Return shredded beef to pan; stir in hoisin.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 min or until most liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minute Sir in cilantro and serve on rolls.