Chef MoJoey's Note:
This is my first ever recipe submission! I actually totally improvised this recipe today and thought it turned out well enough to share. I named it "Asian" because of the soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger. I highly recommend using a cast iron skillet because it holds heat much better than a standard pan which is important for a stir fry. It also helps to add a hint of toasty, smoky flavor. Use any standard cooking potatoes. I actually used 3 small red potatoes. You can also try adding green pepper, peas or chopped tomatoes for more flavor. Feel free to use regular soy sauce but it’s saltier, so watch the salt you add during cooking. I always use low sodium due to dietary restrictions. If you like things spicy, add more cayenne.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef (preferably 80% lean)
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 -4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ground pepper
- olive oil
- 1 bunch cilantro, small bunch, roughly chopped
- 1Heat skillet to medium heat and add about 3 tbsp olive oil.
- 2Add the onions and a little salt and pepper.
- 3Cook a few minutes until onions are almost translucent.
- 4Add garlic.
- 5Add potatoes and about 1 tablespoons more olive oil.
- 6Stir with onions and garlic.
- 7Cover skillet and let cook 4-5 minutes, stirring a couple times. Potatoes should now be slightly fork tender.
- 8Add ginger, paprika and cayenne and stir.
- 9Make a “hole” in the mixture, exposing a small circle of the bottom of the skillet and add sesame oil to it.
- 10Stir ingredients well and let cook another couple minutes.
- 11Remove ingredients from skillet to a bowl and set aside.
- 12Add a little more olive oil and brown the ground beef.
- 13Mix in a dash of salt and pepper.
- 14Drain liquid, leaving a little bit in the pan.
- 15Add the onion/garlic/potato mixture back to pan and combine with beef.
- 16Add soy sauce and rice wine vinegar and stir well.
- 17Taste mixture and add whatever you think it needs. I usually add a little more ginger at this point. Soy sauce adds tangy/salty flavor, rice wine vinegar is sour, etc.
- 18After cooking a couple more minutes, add cilantro and stir well.
- 19Serve by itself or over steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Ground Beef Stir Fry
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.4
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 533.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 23.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar