Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
What zippy flavors -- nothing is missing.
- 2⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 New York strip steaks (approx. 1-inch thick)
- salt and pepper
Spicy Herb Sauce
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (including stems)
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, finely minced
- Stir together the 2/3 cup cooking oil, sherry, sugar, garlic, sesame oil, pepper flakes and salt in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper. Add steaks to marinade, turning once to coat. Marinade for 1 hour (turning once mid way through).
- To make Spicy Herb Sauce, stir together cilantro, oil, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil and jalapeno; set aside.
- Preheat grill.
- Remove steaks from marinade. Discard marinade. Cook steaks on a medium hot grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare -- or until desired doneness.
- Top each steak with sauce.
- Preparation time includes marinating time.