Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from Guy Fieri's new cookbook, this is the bomb! A great way to fix quinoa, with lots of flavor. Enjoy!
Top Review by what-a-kerfuffle
This was fantastic! I used homemade vegetable stock to cook the quinoa in. When heating the oil to cook the onions, I added some crushed red pepper flakes to give the dish some heat. Instead of using all the fresh veggies, I used frozen mixed veggies that I had on hand. The ginger and garlic give this dish a really lovely flavor. I served this with asian pork chops I cooked in my sous-vide.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water (or vegetable stock)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or use grapeseed oil)
- 2 cups diced onions (about 1 1/2 onions)
- 1⁄4 cup shallot (or green onion)
- 1⁄4 cup minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup minced ginger
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 cup finely diced carrot (about 4 small)
- 2 cups shredded baby bok choy
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage (about 1/4 head)
- 1 cup diced sugar snap pea
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten (optional to keep it vegan)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large cast iron skillet(or other heavy skillet) over high heat, toast the quinoa until lightly golden, 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the water or stock and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook until the quinoa opens and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat 1 1/2 tbls. of the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until well browned and soft, about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the shallots(if you don't have shallots, just use more green onions) and cook 2 minutes, then add the garlic, ginger, and green onion and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Add the carrots, bok choy, celery, cabbage, and snap peas and stir until just wilted. Pour in the soy sauce and mix well. Move the mixture to a bowl and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 tbls. of oil in the skillet over medium high heat and add the quinoa. When it is heated through, pour the eggs over the quinoa and stir fry until the eggs are cooked. Return the vegetables to the pan. Adjust the seasoning with additional soy sauce if needed. Enjoy!