Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is such an quick and easy soup to make. I broke it down to make it simple to read, so don't be put off by length of directions. Time to make does not include making the rice or noodles.
- 6 cups bottled water
- 16 ounces fish balls (** I use shrimp & cod) or 16 ounces imitation crabmeat
- 2 1⁄2 cups green cabbage, thinly shredded, packed
- 10 ounces baby corn, large dice
- 4 scallions, diced (white separated from green)
- 10 medium mushrooms, large dice (remove stems, I use white or brown button)
- 3 -4 shrimp bouillon cubes (I use Knorr)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- steamed rice (optional)
- noodles (optional)
- lime juice, fresh (optional)
- Bring water to a boil with the bouillon in it.
- Lower to a simmer. Stir frequently until bouillon is dissolved.
- Add rest of ingredients(cut crabmeat into chunks) except scallions, lime and optional ingredients.
- Simmer for another 20 minutes. Remove from heat, add scallion whites and let stand another 15 minutes, covered before serving.
- In soup bowls, place either rice or noodles, add soup and a splash of lime.
- Garnish with scallion greens and enjoy!
- This reheats nicely so can be made early in the day. It also can be frozen without the rice or noodles. Add rice or noodles when reheating.
- Please do not add salt or soy sauce while cooking as the bouillon cubes already contain sodium.
- **If you are lucky enough to have fresh uncooked shrimp shells available(I save and freeze them), crush them into a paste with a bit of water and use them in place of bouillon. Taste after fifteen minutes of simmering, adding 1 tbls soy sauce & then add one or two bouillon cubes as needed.
- **Fish balls are about one inch balls made from fish,seasonings. There are many different types to choose from.
- All ingredients are available in Asian markets.