1/6 Photos of Asian Crispy Tofu Salad
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Made this for my BF yesterday and he rated it 6 stars. The ingredients and instructions came from the chef at The Market at Newport, a popular cafeteria near where I work that serves excellent food. I supplied the amounts. Do not make this with silken tofu as it will just fall apart. Buy the type of tofu that's packed in water instead. Good as a meat substitute, or snack, or serve it on top of a bed of greens with a bit of rice vinegar or dressing of your choice. It's also really good with balsamic vinegar. *NOTE* - Use a non-stick frying pan, and don't peek at it otherwise it won't get crispy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 396.89 g organic extra firm tofu (Nasoya works great and low fat is also okay to use)
- 44.37 ml soy sauce
- 1-2 scallion, sliced thin (white and green parts)
- 2 garlic cloves (smashed with back of knife or garlic press)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
- 4.92 ml dried lemongrass (optional but recommended) or 14.79 ml fresh lemongrass (optional but recommended)
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Whisk all ingredients except for tofu in a 9x9 inch square baking dish.
- 2Drain and slice tofu in half lengthwise to make two thinner slabs. Blot with a paper towel.
- 3Preheat non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray. Slide tofu slices onto skillet and grill for about 4-5 minutes per side, flipping carefully with a large spatula. Brown it nicely to give it color and texture.
- 4Slip tofu slices into marinade, and turn with spatula at least once. While the tofu is sitting in the marinade, cut each slab 3 times lengthwise and widthwise with a sharp knife to make 16 squares per slab. Toss carefully.
- 5Let marinate for up to 30 minutes and remove garlic and ginger slices before serving warm, at room temperature or chilled.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Crispy Tofu Salad
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.9
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 766.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 9.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: