1/2 Photos of Asian Comfort Food (Coconut-Curry Chicken Noodle Soup)
1 hr 5 mins
Chicken is the favoured meat of choice for most Asian soups & a simple, but rich stock is key to success. This curried soup combines them with coconut milk plus simple ingredients & an easy prep to create a tasty soup course (or 1-dish meal at your option). To allow for health issues & pers pref(s), no salt or soy sauce is added to the soup, but soy sauce is served at the table for individual use. The amt of curry paste also allows for pers pref(s). (Times do not include time for meat & stock to cool separately) - Edited to Add: This recipe owes its connection to the featured countries of ZWT-9 to the use of coconut milk which I found to be common to all the countries plus the Thai curry paste ingredient.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken (rinsed well & cut in usual pieces)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup Thai curry paste (may use red or green, may sub curry powder as needed)
- 4 carrots (scraped or peeled & cut in 1/4 inch coins)
- 4 white onions (coarsely cut in bite-size pieces)
- 4 ounces snow peas (optional add to soup)
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 1/4 cup cilantro (coarsely chopped for garnish, may use chopped parsley or sliced green onion)
- soy sauce (optional add at table)
- 1Rinse chicken pieces well and place in bottom of large stockpot or Dutch oven. Cover with water and simmer 45 minutes (covered).
- 2Remove chicken to large bowl or platter. Allow both chicken and stock to fully cool.
- 3While stock and chicken are cooling, prepare carrots and onions as directed and set aside.
- 4When stock has fully cooled, skim any foamy residue or congealed fat from surface of stock and discard. Strain stock through a fine sieve and return to stockpot.
- 5When chicken has fully cooled, remove and discard skin. Debone chicken, shred chicken meat as you go and return chicken meat to stockpot.
- 6Add 2 cans coconut milk, carrot coins, onion pieces and 1/4 cup (red or green) Thai curry paste to stockpot (or curry powder to taste if using). Stir well to combine flavors.
- 7Taste soup and adjust heat level - curry flavour according to your preferences with the addition of more curry paste (If using curry powder, you have already done this in Step 6 above).
- 8Over low heat, slowly return soup to a simmer and cook (uncovered) for 20 minutes.
- 9While soup is in final cooking stage, prepare rice noodles per package directions, drain well, rinse and set aside.
- 10If using snow peas as optional add, rinse well and add to simmering soup when 1 min of cooking time remains. When cooking is complete, remove soup from heat source & serve immediately.
- 11Place equal amount of rice noodles in the bottom of individual soup bowls, ladle soup over noodles, garnish as desired and serve with a small dish of soy sauce on the table.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Comfort Food (Coconut-Curry Chicken Noodle Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 874.3
- Calories from Fat 393
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 226.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 57.7 g
- Protein 32.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Thai curry paste