This is a favorite around here! Wonderful flavor! This recipe makes twice as much dressing as you will need for the coleslaw. Keep the extra on hand for tossing with rice noodle salads, serving as a dip for crudités or spooning over broiled or sautéed fish. So good. This recipe is from July 2004 of Food and Wine. MAKE AHEAD: The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar, unseasoned
- 3 tablespoons white miso (shiro)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3⁄4 cup grapeseed oil or 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 small green cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
- 1⁄2 small red cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 4 radishes, shredded
- 3 large scallions, white and light green parts only, julienned
- In a food processor, combine the rice vinegar, miso, mayonnaise, lemon juice, ginger and sugar and process until completely smooth. With the machine on, add the grapeseed oil in a slow and steady stream. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 cup of the dressing into a large bowl and refrigerate the rest for another use.
- Add the green and red cabbage, carrots, radishes and scallions to the bowl and toss to coat thoroughly with the dressing. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.