Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I often make this as a quick side salad, quicker if you buy pre packaged coleslaw which I do if there are only 2 of us. You can replace the dressing with Nuoc Cham and some black pepper for a vietnamese style.
- 1⁄4 white cabbage
- 1⁄4 red cabbage
- 1⁄2 bunch spring onion, finely sliced
- 2 carrots
- 1⁄2 bunch vietnamese mint
- 1⁄2 bunch mint
- 1⁄2 bunch basil
- 1⁄2 bunch coriander
- 100 g snow pea tendrils
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 1 red fresh chili pepper, finely sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 50 ml rice wine vinegar
- 20 ml sesame oil
- splash fish sauce
- Finely shred the red and white cabbage and toss together with carrots, spring onion and beansprouts.
- Splash in the rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and fish sauce. Toss together.
- Just before serving, shred the herbs and toss together with the coleslaw mix and toasted sesame seeds.
- Lay down a base of snow pea tendrils and top with the tossed cabbage mix.
This was good and healthy, but it just missed being a 5 star recipe and I can't quite put my finger on the reason why. I think a little palm or brown sugar, finely julienned kaffir lime leaf and fresh ginger would have lifted it. Simple to make and beautiful to look at though.