Recipe by Petite Mommy
Red and green cabbage tossed with a light asian dressing.. mmm! The total cook time include the sitting time for the cabbage. This recipe is courtesy of www.drweil.com.
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 head red cabbage
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 3 large carrots
- 1⁄4 cup minced scallion
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2⁄3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark-roasted sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Discard the outer leaves of cabbages. Cut heads in quarters; remove and discard cores. Slice cabbage thinly or shred in a food processor. Layer the cabbage in a large bowl with the sea salt. Toss to distribute salt evenly and let cabbage sit for 1 hour to soften.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and grate them into thin shreds.
- Drain off any liquid produced by the cabbage and rinse the cabbage well in several changes of cold water to remove excess salt. Taste the cabbage; if it is still too salty, rinse it again.
- Add carrots to the cabbage and mix well.
- Whisk the rice vinegar, brown sugar and sesame oil together in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and mix well. Let chill. Garnish with minced scallions and toasted sesame seeds before serving.