Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This would be great for a holiday meal, or anytime! If you can find them, use blood oranges. They are just coming into season! Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine.
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup (or honey)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (preferably low sodium)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 oranges (try blood oranges of you can find them)
- 1 grapefruit
- 1⁄2 cup arugula, coarsely chopped (or substitute spinach or endive, or your favorite salad greens)
- 1 shallot, peeled, thinly sliced crosswise and loosened into strands (1/4 cup-or use red onion)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, crushed (or dry roasted almond slivers)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- To make Dressing:.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Taste for balance of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy, aadjusting seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- To make Salad:.
- Slice the ends off the oranges and grapefruit. Stand fruit on a cutting board, and slice away the skin and pith from outside with a knife.Cut fruit into segments, removing membranes, and move to a bowl. Toss lightly with arugula, shallot, and mint.
- Toss with the dressing. Serve garnished with nuts and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
YUM! I made this tonight and topped it off with some shrimp. I used up the napa cabbage I had in the fridge in place of the arugula. I also added some garlic, a couple splashes of rice vinegar, and a splash of sesame oil to the dressing. YUM!
Loved loved loved this salad. I made this for myself tonight as my stomach hasn't been feeling well and I didn't want rice dish I made for DH and DS. I had everything on hand which made this a very nice salad to make (except for the shallot). Dressing was very delicious and reminded me of Asian Salad I used to eat in Pacific Beach of my hometown. I used to go there just to eat the salad cause I loved the dressing. I will definitely try variations of this again maybe with some fried noodles or wontons on top next time instead of peanuts. Thanks! Made for ZWT 6 by fellow Looney Spoon :)
This salad is packed with so many of my favorite things: grapefruit, arugula, shallots, fresh mint...Easy to make and the orange mint I tried from our garden was especially tasty in the salad. I used amber (dark) agave for a change. It only added to the taste. Colorful, healthy and very delicious! Reviewed for ZWT Asia 2010.