Recipe by Rita~
An Asian inspired meal using Thai sweet chili sauce which is sweet and has slight heat. If you want it hot add a couple thai chilies to the crock pot. Lemongrass, ginger, garlic to kick up the flavor. Sichuan pepper has slight lemony overtones and creates a tingly numbness in the mouth.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 -4 lbs chuck roast (Mine just fit in the oval crock-pot)
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 15 ounces Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 small onion, rough chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon szechuan peppercorns
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch fresh ginger, rough chopped
- 1 inch lemongrass, tender part sliced
- 1 cup water
- Thai chile
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks size
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stem removed and sliced
- 2 -3 cups broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 lbs udon noodles (I purchase the cooked ones in the refrigerator section)
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro or 1⁄4 cup basil, rough chopped to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Season meat with pepper and very lightly salt. I didn`t salt because the soy and hoisin has plenty of sodium.
- In a hot pan brown the meat in oil until well seared on all side.
- Combine Sauce ingredients except for water in a blender, blend till smooth.
- Place sauce in crock pot stir in water. Place browned meat into liquid.
- Add optional thai chili`s if desiring extra heat.
- Place lid on and cook for about 4-6 hours in crock-pot on high.
- Remove meat, (it should be very tender and fall apart) placing on a plate cover to keep warm.
- Add the carrots, peppers, mushrooms, and broccoli.
- Cover and cook another 5-15 minutes until desired texture of veggies is reached.
- Toss in fresh udon noodle mixing in to heat and combine with veggies.
- Place noddle mixture on a platter and top with meat.
- Garnish with green onions, cilantro, and or basil, and serve.
- Shred beef while the veggies cook and stir into the noodle mixture.