Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love one-dish meals and this fantastic soup fits the bill. Adjust the heat to your taste and substitute other noodles like rice noodles if you like. For those who don't like cilantro use basil in a smaller amount, and please don't leave out the lime juice! Adapted from a Food and Wine cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced 1/4 inch
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (add more if you like a lot of heat)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes (from a can)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb spaghettini or 3⁄4 lb rice noodles
- 1⁄2 lb bok choy, sliced 1/4 inch (add more if you like)
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- In a large pot heat oils over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, garlic, ginger, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, chicken, fish sauce, 1/2 cup cilantro and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 1/2 hour.
- While the soup cooks bring a pot of water to boil and cook the spaghettini to al dente. Drain.
- Add spaghettini, bok choy and lime juice to the soup. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with the 1/4 cup cilantro and serve.
We loved this soup. I decided to make it vegetarian so I left out the chicken and added in some black beans and corn. This soup is so easy to make with great results. I do not like fish sauce so I left it out along with the lime juice as I was out of it. Thanks for the recipe.
This was outstanding! I used basil instead of cilantro, and it was delish!