Recipe by I_heart_seitan
I created this recipe for a chili cook off at my fiances work, and it won! I even made a double batch and it was gone in minutes! I think it's a completely original spin on chili with an asian flare!
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 2 small onions, chopped finely
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 serrano peppers, chopped finely (if you don't like spicy I would only add in 1 pepper)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder, to taste
- 1 -2 teaspoon soy sauce, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- chow mein noodles
- chopped green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onion, shallot, garlic and Serrano pepper until onion is tender.
- Add the Chinese 5 spice and mix around until combined completely.
- Pour in veggie stock and stir.
- Let that simmer, and then stir in the hoisin sauce, sesame oil, chili oil, and soy sauce. You don’t have to be exact with measurement because all of these flavors are pretty acquired, so do what you like.
- Once all of that is mixed you can mix in the drained beans.
- You can go ahead and serve it now, but I have also transferred this to a slow cooker and cooked from 1-12 hours, the longer you cook it the softer the beans with get.
- Serve with the crunchy chow mein noodles and chopped green onion.