1/2 Photos of Asian Chickpea Lettuce Wraps
A few months back I posted this recipe for Spicy Basil Lettuce Chicken Wraps. Made with PF Chang's lettuce wraps in mind, I created the aformentioned recipe as a healthier alternative. PF Chang's version is laden with calories, carbohydrates (22% of your daily recommended value) and unhealthy fats (15% of your daily recommended saturated fat allocation). As an aside, check out LiveStrong.com for more nutritional facts about Pf Chang's lettuce wraps and other restaurant food reviews. Having not made this in months, my desire to eat an almost entirely meat based dish has gone straight out the window. Whipping up a vegetarian version seemed like the only logical solution. When in doubt, substitute beans for chicken. Which type of beans just depends on the taste you are going for. Chickpeas pack the perfect punch for the vegetarian version of this recipe. They can be broken down into a semi-ground state perfectly and they soak up the asian flavors of this dish, not missing a single beat i
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon thai style chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped basil (optional)
- 6 -8 lettuce leaves, Bibb, boston or 6 -8 romaine leaves
- 1Drain and rinse both cans of chickpeas.
- 2Place chickpeas in a food processor and puree in 5-10 second increments. You do not want to turn the chickpeas into a mash, you simply want to grind them into pieces.
- 3Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a pan and heat.
- 4Add the chickpeas and let cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, continuously stirring so as not to burn.
- 5Add remaining ingredients, except basil, and stir. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- 6If using basil leaves, add them and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring the basil in and allowing it to wilt.
- 7Wash lettuce leaves and pat dry.
- 8Spoon a healthy serving of chickpea mixture onto lettuce wraps and serve immediately. Drizzle with sirachi sauce if desired.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Chickpea Lettuce Wraps
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.0
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 615.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 7.3 g