Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
My daughter has a friend with a Filipina caregiver for her grandfather. The last time she was at her house they made these together. It's a fun thing to make with your kids, and pretty good to eat, as well!
- 1 whole cooked chicken, about 4 cups of shredded meat
- 2 red bell peppers
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce or 4 cups slivered cabbage, if you like
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced (or grated)
- 8 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- Remove and discard the skin from the chicken.
- Pull the chicken from the bone and shred the meat, with your fingers or 2 forks, into long shreds no more than 1/4 inch wide (this should go quickly; if it seems slow, just use a knife to cut the chicken into long, thin pieces).
- Put the chicken in a large bowl.
- Seed the peppers and cut them into long strips (similar to the chicken shreds).
- Put them in the bowl along with lettuce or cabbage.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar and peanut butter and use a whisk or fork to blend evenly.
- Add soy sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar and ginger.
- Stir to blend.
- Stir the dressing into the chicken.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if you like.
- Warm the tortillas directly over a gas flame or in a dry skillet on an electric burner.
- Warming each should take about 15 to 30 seconds.
- Turn the tortilla over and over again until it is warm and pliable.
- Stack and repeat until finished.
- Divide filling among tortillas (about 1 cup each), placing filling in a wide strip a little below the center of the tortilla.
- Fold each edge over the sides of the filling, then fold up the bottom and roll to enclose the filling entirely.
- You can make these hours ahead, wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap.
Very good. I used chicken breast that I made.I used only 1 red pepper and found not to even use it all. And cut the oil in half. And I would say cilantro is a must!This is a great recipe to play with. I had two wraps the second one I added leftover Lemon Rice recipe #75113 to it. Yummy!
This was a great dinner! Had some leftover spicy chicken and it tasted great with the seasoning and wheat flower tortilla. Will definitely make it in the future
I'm sorry. I tried this because of the high reviews, but I found it a bit bland.