Recipe by F&W's Melissa Rubel, from Pairing of The Day: November 2008, How to Cook with Spices. An excellent "new way" of preparing chicken salad. The delectable poached-chicken salad packed with Asian pear, cucumber and bean sprouts, offers a double hit of wasabi. Melissa whisks wasabi powder -- a blend of mayonnaise, rice vinegar and sesame oil -- then garnishes the salad with crunchy wasabi peas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 3/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons wasabi powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 heads boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 large Asian pear, halved cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 scallions, white parts and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup roasted wasabi peas, coarsely chopped
- 1In a large saucepan, cover the chicken breasts with water and bring to a gentle simmer; cook over moderately low heat until the chicken is white throughout, about 12 minutes.
- 2Transfer the poached chicken breasts to a plate and let stand until cooled slightly, about 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the rice vinegar, wasabi powder, Asian sesame oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons of water and season with salt and pepper.
- 4In a large serving bowl, toss the lettuce with the Asian pear slices, cucumber, scallions, bean sprouts and 2/3 cup of the wasabi dressing.
- 5Slice the chicken breasts crosswise 1/4 inch thick and lay the slices on top of the salad.
- 6Spoon the remaining wasabi dressing over the chicken breasts, sprinkle with the chopped wasabi peas and.
- 7Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Chicken Salad With Wasabi Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.5
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 76.0 mg
- Sodium 293.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 30.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: