Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
In 'Winter Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 2 chicken breast halves, with skin and bone (about 1 lb total)
- 3 slices fresh ginger (1/4-inch slices)
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
Spicy Orange Vinaigrette
- 2 seedless oranges
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce, such as sriracha
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Asian dark sesame oil
- 1⁄2 lb dried chinese noodles or 1⁄2 lb linguine
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch thick half-moons
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 3 tablespoons mint
- Place the chicken, ginger, scallion, and salt in a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover the chicken.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease the heat to low and cover.
- Simmer until the chicken loses its raw look, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Drain the chicken; let the chicken cool until easy to handle.
- Remove and discard the skin and bone; pull the chicken meat into shreds.
- Vinaigrette--grate the zest from 1 orange into a small bowl and reserve.
- Cut off the peel from the oranges.
- Working over another bowl to collect the juices, cut between the membranes to release the orange segments.
- Squeeze the juice from the membranes, if necessary, to measure 2 tablespoons.
- Whisk together the orange juice and zest, soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin sauce, and hot sauce until combined.
- Gradually whisk in the vegetable oil, then the sesame oil.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the noodles and cook according to the package directions until tender.
- Drain and rinse under cold running water; drain well.
- Transfer the noodles to a bowl.
- Add the chicken, orange segments, cucumber, scallions, and bell pepper.
- Add the vinaigrette and toss well.
- Sprinkle with the cilantro.
- Taste and season with soy sauce and hot sauce, as desired.
- Serve at room temperature.