This Asian inspired salad makes for a lovely luncheon or supper. The contents of the salad can easily be adjusted to whatever you like or have on hand. If you prefer a vegetarian meal, omit the chicken or use tofu instead. Won't be chicken salad but will still be delicious.
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 1 cup cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into matchstick pieces
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges in juice, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds (optional garnish)
- Using a blender or food processor, blend all of the dressing ingredients (yogurt, orange juice, ginger, salt, sugar, orange peel, cayenne and cinnamon) until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble salads, place lettuce into large serving bowl or onto 4 serving plates. Toss together remaining ingredients except almonds on top of lettuce.
- Drizzle 1/2 of dressing on salad, reserving remaining portion so that guests can adjust amount to taste.
- Garnish with sliced almonds (optional).