Recipe by justcallmetoni
This Asian inspired salad makes for a lovely luncheon or supper. The contents of the salad can easily be adjusted to whatever you like or have on hand. If you prefer a vegetarian meal, omit the chicken or use tofu instead. Won't be chicken salad but will still be delicious.
Top Review by FolkDiva
This is a beautiful salad! I made a single serving just for me, but prepared the dressing exactly as instructed figuring I would simply keep the extra refrigerated for future use. I fear the plain, nonfat yogurt I used (store brand) was not the best choice....as after blending the dressing ingredients for several seconds, I ended up with a very thin liquid.... Still tasted yummy but it simply glazed the salad and most ended up in the bottom of the salad plate. So there was only a touch of flavor added to what ended up being a rather 'dry' salad. Based on Sharon's photo, I was expecting a thicker dressing that would hold on to the salad a little better. Regardless, I enjoyed the flavor of the ginger (something I've just recently acquired a taste for) with the orange and loved the addition of mandarin oranges and water chestnuts in the salad. I'll try to find a creamier yogurt for next time around and perhaps simply 'mix well' as opposed to putting in the blender, as I think I would have enjoyed a little more 'body' in the dressing. Thank you for a wonderful post that made for a delightful, healthy lunch!
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 1 cup cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into matchstick pieces
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges in juice, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds (optional garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a blender or food processor, blend all of the dressing ingredients (yogurt, orange juice, ginger, salt, sugar, orange peel, cayenne and cinnamon) until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble salads, place lettuce into large serving bowl or onto 4 serving plates. Toss together remaining ingredients except almonds on top of lettuce.
- Drizzle 1/2 of dressing on salad, reserving remaining portion so that guests can adjust amount to taste.
- Garnish with sliced almonds (optional).