Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 piece gingerroot, chopped coarse (2-inch piece)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped coarse
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 small bok choy, greens sliced thin and stalks chopped medium
- 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles, seasoning packet discarded
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- Bring the broth, ginger, garlic, sherry, and soy sauce to a boil, covered, in a big pan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, pat chicken dry with paper towels; then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over med-high heat until just smoking; brown chicken lightly on both sides, about 5 minutes total; transfer chicken to plate.
- Add onion and ¼ teaspoon salt to fat left in Dutch oven; cook over med-high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and strain broth into Dutch oven, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add in bok choy stalks, and browned chicken.
- Cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in center, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot and stir in noodles; increase heat to med-high and cook until noodles are just tender, about 3 minutes.
- While noodles are cooking, shred chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Stir in bok choy greens and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, stir in shredded chicken and scallions.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.