Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This came from Woman's Day magazine, slow cooker recipe card.
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 4 chicken thighs, skin removed (about 2-1/4 lb.)
- 1 (15 ounce) canwhole baby corn, drained, each ear cut in half cross wise
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 3⁄4 cup bottled stir-fry sauce, preferably Korean style
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 slices orange rind (about 3x1 inch, each)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- sliced scallion, to garnish
- chopped unsalted roasted cashew nuts, to garnish
- Mix all ingredients in a 3 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high 4 hours or on low 7-9 hours, until chicken is tender.
- Carefully lift chicken (it's fall off the bone tender) onto serving platter.
- Top with the sauce and vegetables, sprinkle with scallions and cashews.
I also used Kikkoman's Stir-Fry sauce and found the finished product to be tasty which was great since considering the ease of preparation. I didn't have chicken legs, so I used 3 skinless boneless chicken breast halves. I omitted the orange peel & cashews and used 8 oz fresh baby corn (found in the Asian section of the produce department). I didn't have fresh ginger so I used about 1/4 t. ground ginger. Lastly, when the dish finished cooking, I lightly shredded the chicken a bit, added a little crushed red pepper flakes, added a half a pack of crushed Ramen noodles (the kind you use for the instant soup, minus the seasoning packet) & 8 oz frozen sugar snap peas. Turn crock on "warm" and let sit for an additional 10 minutes.
I used Kikomans brand stirfry sauce. I didn't have baby corn so used regular. My husband gave this 2 stars. I guess we don't like bottle stirfry sauce although we like Kikoman's soy sauce.