Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This has great color and is pretty healthy. Also good for a summer dinner. Tofu can easily be substituted for the chicken.
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, well trimmed
- 3 ounces Chinese wheat noodles, broken in small pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons jalapenos, minced (or 1 teaspoon sriracha)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 cups savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/4 head)
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/4 head)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks (about 1 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup green onion, chopped (white & green parts)
- Bring broth to simmer in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken and simmer until just cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate to cool.
- Add noodles to broth and add enough water to barely cover.
- Cook until noodles are done, about 3 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer noodles to bowl of cold water.
- Drain & set aside.
- Boil broth mix until reduced to 1/3 cup.
- Transfer to small bowl to cool.
- Add vinegar, cilantro, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chili, and sesame oil to the broth and whisk to combine.
- In large bowl, combine cabbages, red pepper, carrots, and onions.
- Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to evenly coat.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Arrange chicken and oranges on top of vegetables.
- Cover and chill 30 minutes. Serve on chilled plates.