Recipe by Derf
Found this in a flyer for Canadian Chicken farmers, tried it last week and they are good! Packed with flavour, nutrition and value for your money, 1 lb minced chicken feeds 6!
Top Review by cknick
Excellent! I made it with ground turkey and it was super. Unique, with a delicious blend of flavors.I did not think it was alot of prep because I used bottled galic and ginger. I prepared the sauce while the cabbage was blanching. We will have this again and again. Thanks!
- 1 head cabbage
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 9.85 ml minced gingerroot
- 354.88 ml coarsely chopped mushrooms (about 4 oz)
- 453.59 g lean ground chicken
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh coriander
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 1.23 ml hot pepper sauce
- 177.44 ml cooked rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 354.88 ml chopped canned tomatoes
- 78.07 ml rice vinegar
- 59.14 ml packed brown sugar (I use brown sugar twin)
- 59.14 ml soy sauce
- 59.14 ml oyster sauce
- 14.79 ml minced gingerroot
- 7.39 ml sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Using sharp knife, remove core from cabbage.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch cabbage for 10 to 15 minutes or until leaves are softened.
- With tongs, remove and chill in cold water; set aside on towel, core down, to drain.
- Filling: In large nonstick frypan, heat oil over medium high heat; cook onions, garlic and ginger, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook stirring, for 5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Add chicken; cook, stirring and breaking up with wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add red pepper, coriander, soy sauce and hot pepper sauce; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in rice.
- Let cool slightly.
- Stir in egg.
- Working from core end of cabbage, carefully remove 12 leaves, trim off coarse backbone.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup filling onto each leaf.
- Fold end and sides over filling; roll up.
- Place rolls in single layer in large casserole dish.
- Sauce: In bowl, stir together tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, soy and oyster sauces, ginger and sesame oil.
- Pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake in 350°F oven for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and baste with sauce; cook, uncovered for 20 minutes longer or until sauce is bubbling and rolls are tender.