Asian Caramelized Chicken
- Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Open chicken thighs to lie flat in the pan and brown on both sides, in batches if necessary. Set chicken aside.
- Remove all but 1 Tbsp of fat from the pan, then add remaining ingredients except peanuts and cilantro.
- Stir and simmer until the sauce becomes thickened and syrupy, about 15 minutes. Taste carefully (it's very hot!) and add more garlic and vinegar if necessary to your taste.
- Return the chicken to the pan, coat with syrup and cook until chicken is cooked through. If the glaze becomes too thick add a small amount of water and stir. Remove star anise if using.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro if you like and serve.