1/4 Photos of Asian Caramelized Chicken
This chicken in a sticky glaze is a new family favourite but I'd serve it to guests as well. Boneless skinless chicken thighs stay tender and moist and chopped peanuts make an attractive garnish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shallots or 2 tablespoons sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (or more to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 star anise (optional)
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- 2Open chicken thighs to lie flat in the pan and brown on both sides, in batches if necessary. Set chicken aside.
- 3Remove all but 1 Tbsp of fat from the pan, then add remaining ingredients except peanuts and cilantro.
- 4Stir and simmer until the sauce becomes thickened and syrupy, about 15 minutes. Taste carefully (it's very hot!) and add more garlic and vinegar if necessary to your taste.
- 5Return the chicken to the pan, coat with syrup and cook until chicken is cooked through. If the glaze becomes too thick add a small amount of water and stir. Remove star anise if using.
- 6Garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro if you like and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Caramelized Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.7
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 149.2 mg
- Sodium 999.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 17.7 g
- Protein 38.7 g