Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Another recipe from a Lunch 'N Learn seminar at my work. Recipe by: Jenny Pitcher, RD, LD
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into 2-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 cup sesame oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add rice and water to medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 50 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Let rice cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine carrots, fennel and onion on a large sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- To make the dressing: In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, lemon juice, honey and ginger together. Add sesame oil by streaming into mixture and whisking to incorporate. Add cilantro and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once rice and veggies are cool, combine together and add dressing. Toss to coat.