Recipe by Sydney Mike
This is a very nice tasting & different salad found in Famous Brand Name Recipes cookbook 'WHOLE-WHEAT COOKING.' Preparation time DOES NOT INCLUDE the 30-40 minutes needed for rice to cool to room temperature.
Top Review by katew
Excellent salad ! I subbed rocket for the snow peas and just loved the addition of the water chestnuts and the soy sauce in the dressing. I left out the dried fruit due to personal preference. A big plus here too for me is the versatility. You could add and subtract ingredients here and still get a great Asian feel salad with such a marvellous dressing. Made for ZWT 6.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 3 ounces dry roasted peanuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 ounces frozen snow peas, thawed, patted dry
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In small saucepan, bring water to boil over high heat.
- Stir in rice, & return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover & simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender & liquid is absorbed.
- With fork, fluff rice & spread out on greased baking sheet.
- Cool to room temperature, about 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add peanuts & stirring frequently, toast 3-4 minutes, or until fragrant & beginning to lightly brown.
- Place in medium bowl.
- Add water chestnuts, snow peas, onion, bell pepper & cranberries, then add cooled rice.
- In small bowl, combine vinegar, honey, soy sauce & pepper flakes.
- Add to rice mixture, then toss to coat.