Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
I strongly suggest to double the dressing. Plan ahead this needs to chill for a minimum of 4 hours before serving, even better if chilled overnight! To save time just purchase a bag of broccoli slaw at the grocery store!
- 7 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped (can use Chinese cabbage)
- 2 -3 cups fresh broccoli florets (chopped into very small florets|)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup toasted slivered almonds (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar (or use lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- In a large heat-proof bowl toss together the cabbage and broccoli.
- Cover with boiling water and let stand for 1-2 minutes (if your veggies are chopped large then soak for 2 minutes) drain, then transfer to a bowl of ice water; drain very well.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add in the shredded carrots and green onions.
- In a small bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients, adjust amounts to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture; toss well to combine and season with salt and more black pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for a minimum of 4 hours.
- When ready to serve add in the toasted almonds; toss to combine.
We LOVE coleslaw and I have to say this was one of the best we've eaten- nice and tangy with just the right amount of dressing for us too, but I would add a small red chilli to it next time. Russ made this (he makes the best coleslaw as he slices everything so finely) and since he didn't have quite enough cabbage, added some celery and bell pepper to the mix. I don't think the actual vegetables matter in this-it's the blanching of the broccoli and cabbage, then the dressing that are the important features of this yummy salad