Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I made this last night in my quest for great duck legs. Recipe courtesy of Ming Tsai.
Make and share this Asian Braised Duck Legs recipe from Food.com.
- Season legs with salt& pepper.
- Heat a kettle large enough to hold legs in 1 layer, add legs fat side down, cook 15-20 minutes until browned.
- Turn over and cook 2 minutes more, remove to a plate.
- In fat add black beans, garlic, and ginger.
- saute 2 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, shiitakes, cook 3 minutes more.
- Add shaoxing and deglaze the pan.
- Add tamari, sugar, thyme and duck legs back to pan, fat side up.
- Add water to cover.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hrs until duck is tender.
- Remove legs to a platter.
- Reduce cooking liquid by one half until thickened.
- You may add 1 tbs cornstarch mixed with water if sauce isn't thick enough.
- Pour over legs.
This is delicious! I had found some frozen duck leg-quarters on sale for 99Â¢ each in a closeout freezer at the local store and bought all they had. So I used the leg-thigh pieces instead of just legs. I couldn't find fermented black beans, so used black bean sauce. Also subbed dry sherry for the wine ( I thought I had some in the back of the cupboard, but I was wrong) This is a keeper, and I think chicken thighs or turkey thighs would be great in the sauce too! (adjust cooking times).
Had this for Christmas Dinner with Polish folks, they raved and raved. I used ground ginger, canned oyster mushrooms and red table wine for the shaoxing.