This is such an excellent recipe for a quick, week night meal. Loads of flavor and something different to have. I printed this off a food blog and now I can't find which blog it was from! I modified the recipe to the tastes of my family, and we all loved it.
- 16 leaf boston bibb lettuce
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 59.14 ml hoisin sauce
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 14.79 ml rice wine vinegar
- 226.79 g can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 9.85 ml sesame oil (dark)
- Rinse whole lettuce leaves and pat dry, being careful not tear them. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over high heat, brown the ground beef in 1 tablespoon of oil, stirring often and reducing the heat to medium, if necessary. Drain, and set aside to cool. Cook the onion in the same pan, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, and chile pepper sauce to the onions, and stir. Stir in chopped water chestnuts, green onions, and sesame oil, and continue cooking until the onions just begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange lettuce leaves around the outer edge of a large serving platter, and pile meat mixture in the center. To serve, allow each person to spoon a portion of the meat into a lettuce leaf. Wrap the lettuce around the meat like a burrito.