Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I really enjoyed this soup. I found this recipe in the Womans Weekly and hubby and I tried it for the first time on the weekend. I love winter because we get to eat yummy soups!
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups beef consomme
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 450 g fresh rice noodles
- 500 g rump steak, sliced thinly
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- lemon wedge, for serving
- Place the water, consomme, onion, ginger and garlic in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil.
- Add sambal oelek, fish sauce and sugar and simmer uncovered for 1 minute.
- Prepare noodles according to packet instructions. Divide the noodles among serving bowls.
- Drop steak into simmering broth and cook for between 15 and 30 minutes making sure the steak is cooked through but not tough.
- Pour broth and steak over noodles and top with bean sprouts and mint.
- Squeeze lemon over if you require an extra tang.